Update to the saga of the bloody nose: So, I went to the ENT on Monday. He gave me three choices.
- Do nothing. (He doesn’t recommend that. Neither does one of my co-workersâ€”the only one who asked about it.)
- Have the blood vessels cauterized. This wouldn’t take very long (he was willing to do it Monday!) and there’d be no down-time.
- Have surgery. (Eeek!) Apparently I have a significantly deviated septum, which I did not know. He can straighten it out and snip some of the mucous bearing membranes. (And he’d cauterize those pesky blood vessels at the same time.) It’s minor surgery, taking about an hour that he can perform at his facility, but it requires general anesthesia. And I’d have about a week downtime.
So, being the totally indecisive person that I am, I asked to think about it. Yesterday I went back & forth on options 2 and 3. I’ve never had “real” surgery, and have never been totally out. But I like the idea of being out from work for a week or so, even if I do have some discomfort. (Yes, I dislike the job that much!)
But last night I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn’t breathe. The nose was totally plugged up. So, my decision has been made. I can’t schedule the surgery for about another month since work is pretty busy up until the end of September. (Oh hell, work is always busy, but my presence is critical for the next few weeks. Unless I croak, of course. In which case they’d do just fine without me because they’d have to.)
Ah, I’ll be able to sleep in, pet the kitties, play computer games, and watch massive amounts of Jewelry tv. If I could have the surgery sooner, I’d also be able to finish the baby blanket I’m knitting for my niece before her baby is born next month. (Lucky little girl! Her birthstone will be sapphireâ€”my favorite.) As it is now, though, it’ll be a race to the finish.